Let’s just skip beating about the bush and come straight to point – Crosley record players are damn good! And you’ll get that idea when you read Crosley record player review in detail below. But what’s the point of starting a post with such a favorable statement? Well, this post has answers to all concerns.
If you’re looking for good Crosley turntables, you can skip the section and go straight to Crosley record player review below. In case, you belong to that group of inquisitive millennials who want to know about the manufacturer, this small history overview will give you a fair bit of idea about them.
First thing that’ll shake you up a bit is, the most popular turntable producers of turntables and record players used to be the automobile manufacturers, and they were not limited to just building automobiles – anything but turntables. Credit goes to Powell Crosley, Jr who was one of the most influential business tycoons during 1900s. He created a radio company called Crosley Radio Company in 1920’s, and the idea struck his mind when he visited a radio shop selling radios for $100. He went through a booklet on how to build a radio company, and then established a company that produced some of the cheapest yet durable gadgets of their time. First Crosley radio was sold for just $7.
Soon, it became the leading brand, and now Crosley has earned a name in producing high-quality record players and turntables for audiophiles, occasional listeners, kids, adults, professionals and music DJs. But hang on!
Table of Contents
- General Analysis of Crosley Record Players
- Top 3 Crosley Record Players – Reviews and Analysis
General Analysis of Crosley Record Players
Crosley turntables and record players have a long history and over the years, the company has faced quite a stiff competition with many American, European and Japanese systems as its rivals. In fact, if you’re the fan of one brand, it would be quite difficult for you to change your taste for music.
Before moving on to the review of the 3 best gadgets from the makers, let’s move on to some general observations, good’s and bad’s of Crosley record players.
Why Crosley is So Famous
As mentioned earlier, the idea of the manufacturers was to produce cost-effective sound producing mechanisms, Crosley record players still follow the same old route. The company is well known for producing all-in-one sound systems at an exceptional price. Occasional music listeners, people with large families and kids, even audiophiles like to buy Crosley turntables.
Wood construction is the vital element of Crosley turntables and record players. It is said that wood is the best material for producing high quality acoustics with deep bass. You can find impressive designs and durable models from Crosley. These models are quite sophisticated, require minimal maintenance, and if you keep them clean, they can run for years without any replacement of parts.
In short, cost-effectiveness, value for money, durability and flexibility are some noteworthy factors of Crosley record players that will make you believe you’ve made the right purchase.
What’s Not So Good About Crosley
The only thing from the perspective of sound experts and music professionals is, most Crosley models combine different sound producing systems. Not that they haven’t concentrated on improving turntable performance, but combining speakers, receiver and turntable in one place means you have to forgo some amount of sound quality.
Audiophiles and DJs like to have a turntable dedicated for sound production. It must offer maximum upgradation and compatibility. Crosley turntables and record players fall short of such flexibility. But if you’re just music lover, especially the one who’s used MP3 players for the entire life, you’d love the acoustics, high bass response and overall sound quality produced by Crosley record players.
Top 3 Crosley Record Players – Reviews and Analysis
It’s certainly not easy picking up the best Crosley record players from a large list of impressive sound producing gadgets. Almost every model from the makers has received massive popularity and fame, and every model ruled for quite a while.
Mind you, if you have used any of the following products, you might disagree to our criticism, but we’ve done our best to research, collect evidences from hundreds of users, and put together a Crosely record player review for you. If you haven’t tried any of them before, this review will help you realize you’ve been missing on some great music.
So, let’s go straight to the reviews now.
#1. Crosley CR8005A-TU Cruiser Portable Turntable
For those music lovers who still love to own portable, suitcase-like and retro inspired Crosley turntables, and they’re not happy with anything less than genuine, Crosley CR8005A-TU Cruiser Portable 3-Speed Turntable is just the right choice for them. In fact, this suitcase-like design has inspired millions of people when it was introduced, and it continues to inspire the youth today.
Interestingly, this record player doesn’t just take inspiration from the “old folks” of 1930’s through 50’s, it was actually designed in that era. Isn’t that a great deal? You can get your hands onto something belonging to your childhood, or something that your grandfather used to have and felt proud of. More surprisingly, you don’t have to pay huge sum of money to grab such a piece, because these turntables are still manufactured and sold at fairly reasonable price.
Look-wise, Cruiser CR8005A-TU is arguably the masterpiece; has clean lines, simple yet well-worked exterior and suitcase-like locks to prevent any damages. The turntable promises to deliver powerful sound, thanks to high performance audio reproduction unit (for example: NP6 needle and dynamic stereo speakers). Want to know more about the interiors? This seemingly lightweight record player consists of a belt-driven turntable that rotates at 3 different speeds. That means, you can play LPs and Vinyl records of all sizes on it.
- Vintage and retro style record player that has been popular for years now
- It doesn’t weight too much, is extremely portable. You can run it on almost any surface (but keep it straight), because its suitcase like design offers great support to the turntable.
- The record player has built in preamp and full range stereo speakers for high quality and crystal clear sound.
- Available in 9 different colors.
- The turntable has a major flexibility issue, because it doesn’t offer USB connectivity. So, if you’re a music professional or a DJ, you wouldn’t use it in parties, instead use it at home.
- As far as price is concerned, this turntable is on the higher end, given that there are so many portable record players that cost cheaper.
- Crosley turntables are flashy and catchy. This one is not as flashy as other models.
#2. Crosley CR6019A-BR Executive Portable USB Turntable
If you’re thinking about executive-level turntable with professional touch, you should take a look at thig special piece. Crosley CR6019A-BR Executive Portable USB Turntable has everything; from design to performance, to satisfy your desires.
This model has been designed to look like a suitcase used by travelling executives. Yes, it’s a vinyl-wrapped suitcase and the hardware is brass plated, making you look like a professional. Although it has a powerful sound system and professional interiors that even a large trunk cannot hold, you’ll be quite happy to carry it on cross country trips and tours.
Most talked about feature of CR6019A has been USB connectivity that enables you to convert your songs into MP3 format. It can connect to Mac and Windows operating systems via USB output. Moreover, the record player offers 3 speeds, allowing you to play all kinds of records at their suitable speeds - 33-1/3 RPM, 78 RPM and 45 RPM.
Talking about sound production, Crosley CR6019-BR USB Turntable features dual stereo speakers and a built-in preamplifier, so that you don’t have to purchase separate equipment for rich and authentic sound. The turntable features a headphone jack output (for solo listening), RCA output, and auxiliary input and output.
- Crosley CR6019-BR has a high-end suitcase-like design that not only separates it from the rest of the turntables, its durable support offers smooth and consistent sound as well.
- If you happen to travel a lot and want to keep a high-profile sound player with you, there is no better option than Crosley CR6019-BR. It’s lightweight, portable and travel friendly.
- USB connectivity makes it a go-to turntable. You can connect it with your laptop, smartphones or any other mobile device.
- Dual stereo speakers and built-in preamp are there to save your money on buying these parts separately.
- Crosley CR6019-BR can be your first turntable, because it offers pretty basic music producing options. You have limited manual control on sound production.
- Sometimes, sound coming out of the speakers feels just not enough, especially in heavily crowded places.
- Although, the case is quite durable and so are the internal parts, you need to be careful and delicate while handling it.
#3. Crosley CR704C-PA Musician Turntable
As mentioned above, Crosley is synonymous to wooden record players, and Crosley CR704C-PA Musician Turntable is a fine example of that. It’s a prime example of a true record player that offers flexibility and versatility in one place. This record player offers a blend of vintage-style design and modern record-player technology, suitable for all kinds of listeners.
Starting with the construction, the record player features a wood housing for extremely high quality sound. Crosley CR704C- PA Musician Turntable is equipped with well-tuned acoustic cabinet, along with dual dynamic range speakers. Plus, you have more than one audio options to play. It can be used as a cassette player and a CD player with 20-track memory. Plus, you can listen to AM/FM radio using that airplane tuning dial. What’s more? You can plug your MP3 player or smartphone with it.
The turntable style follows the same belt-driven mode and it is fully automatic. It allows for 12-, 10-, and 7-inch records. You can run the records at three speeds – 78 RPM, 45 RPM and 33-1/3 RPM. Despite of so many audio options combined in one place, and a wood housing to secure them, this record player is reasonably lightweight and portable. You may have some concerns over the quality of sound coming out of the turntable, but you don’t need to worry, because it features a diamond tipped stylus for high precision and crystal clear sound.
- Crosley CR704C-PA Musician Turntable is a 5-in-1 record player that can accompany you anywhere. It offers a belt-driven turntable, programmable CD player, FM/AM radio, cassette deck and MP3/Smartphone connectivity.
- The housing is made of veneers and hardwood, giving you that old vintage feel and high quality sound as well.
- Despite of the volume and space, the record player weighs under 14 pounds.
- You will get a warranty and a user guide with this record player.
- By the looks of it, the record player is more suited for living rooms, rather than being taken for travel. Although it’s not too heavy, it will be a burden to carry such a large piece.
- There are too many audio options, and some of them are useless for modern-day users.
After going through this Crosley record player review, you can imagine how big is the name of Crosley and why. The makers have a real reason to stay in music business, and that is, by providing more and more economical options for music listening. The range of Crosley record players is quite wide, and satisfies everyone from a new user to the genuine professional.
You can find basic models with just a turntable and speakers. Then there are professional models with advanced technology and more connectivity options. Although, there is a limited room for upgradation, but when you get turntables so cheap, you can always go for a high-end model after developing your music sense. Over the years, Crosley models have evolved and adopted to the changes in technology, and that’s the sign of a well-established business.